Continuing in my tradition of poorly written word vomit, I present to you today’s edition of my blog.
The media overlap between the US and here is pretty entertaining. Arpan, my host brother, is a HUGE Akon fan. He knows Akon and Snoop Dogg, but he only has one Akon album, so we had a good time listening to a different album that I have on my iPod. The only American artists I have heard about here are Akon, Snoop, and of course, MJ (RIP oh groovy one).They have a computer (but no internet) in the bedroom, and they have about 5or 6 Chinese pirated movies. We watched Titanic and Evil Dead 1 and Evil Dead 3—high quality films to say the least. Everyone seems to know Evil Dead and is totally shocked when I don’t know it.
On a side note, I’m a bit unsure of whether I should be busting out my iPod, laptop, camera etc. or if this is just flaunting my relative wealth. The kids seem to love it, but I’m not sure if it is offensive to the parents. At the same time, I am constantly being asked how much everything I own cost.
After work on Friday, I went with Sabitha to visit her cousin. The bus ride over was interesting, they have a separate ladies section in the front. The conductor was apparently really excited that there was an American girl riding. She asked me about a million times if I liked her bus. This is the way it has been the whole time, I have not seen a single other non-Indian, and I stick out so much.
We had the first rain of the monsoon season last night, finally! Everyone had been praying for rain for weeks. They aren’t kidding about monsoons though; it was a crazy intense rain. Apparently ice cream is really popular in the rainy season, so Pinky, the 18 year old daughter of Sabitha’s cousin, sprinted (holding hands) through the rain to a shop across the street to get some ice cream. Holding hands was very necessary, the traffic is absolutely insane. As far as I can tell, no one obeys any traffic laws, there are no lanes, no crosswalks, it’s every man for himself out there. This has made my trips on the back of peoples motorcycles/scooters quite exciting. I am particularly in awe of the many women in saris who ride side saddle on the back of motorcycles. And the thing about the cows in the middle of the road? It’s true. Cows here go wherever they damn well please
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I want moooooorreeee (posts that is). HAPPY BIRTHDAY btw. if you haven't already received my facebook post...
ReplyDeletemiss you and please please please post pictures.
and don't feel like you're flaunting your wealth because you're not. and I love Akon. when i went to china 4 years ago they loved britney spears. they made me sing. akon is much easier to sing. also deer in Pittsburgh are just like cows in India. and now I'm just making random comments. so i'll cut it short and just say that i miss you and hope you continue having an amazing time and play in the rain.
email to follow tomorrow with more.
love,
julie
Aw, it sounds like you're having so much fun :-D
ReplyDeleteBtw, don't feel bad about using expensive electronics - most people overseas realize that (1) these things are less expensive in America and (2) even poorer people in America can afford such luxuries.
Also, I totally know what you mean by people not obeying traffic rules. Red light? Green light? Both the same. Oh and crossroads? They don't actually exist. They just help organize pedestrian movement, but cars don't have to obey them. >.<
Hah! How funny that YOU are the one with things! Shows the differences in culture, eh?
ReplyDeleteWhat do you mean you are riding on the back of motorcycles? Lucky your grandma has no access to the internet. Seriously, if they don't obey traffic laws, please, please, please ride in vehicles that have sides. I want you to come back in one piece!
Have been trying to call you, can't get through. Get your message machine. I looked at your essay and sent it back to you.
Happy Birthday!
Love, love, love,
Mama
Wait, you skipped Evil Dead 2? wtf?
ReplyDeleteHannah, it's pleasant to read from you. And beautiful that you are making such extensive and meaningful connections. Isn't it amazing when you find the unfamiliar to be so close, that you found family so far away!
ReplyDeleteConnections are great. Life is wonderful!
Be prompt and studious to blog -- I'll be reading!
your stream-of-consciousness is amazing, I am imagining it reflects the pace of your life there. :)
ReplyDeleteYour photos are great! I remember that same style of toilet in Spain. Stenciled footprints at either side a hole in the floor. They're very good for firming up your quads. Which could be a kind of a good thing since I'm guessing you can't just throw on shorts and a tank top and go for a run.
ReplyDeleteYour host family looks welcoming and happy. I love hearing about all that you're doing. Post when you can.
EVIL DEAD!!!!!
ReplyDeleteNext on my Netflix queue. Just had a very hard time spelling that last word. Anyway, I am renting it, and then renting #2, and then #3.
Hope you got my email and that you are beginning to plan the beautiful, scrumptious occasion that will be your wedding. You know what I'm talking about.
Lurve you!
Lucy
Yay! I love reading this, I can totally hear your voice in everything you say. The marco-polo scene is a wonderful picture in my mind. About the electronics, I was really torn about that in Peru. The first time I went, I didn't bring my laptop/ipod so that I wouldn't have to worry about them. Bbut the camera was necessary and always an issue at the boy's shelter; they all wanted to use it, and I initially let the older boys do so, untill the other staff at the shelter basically called me an idiot and said they'd steal or break it. The price questions I also found really uncomfortable becasue they revealed the staggering disparities that I wished to conceal. But I think that I need not have been so ashamed (cause that's really the feeling, I think) because a) they were really already aware of my immense priviledge and b) they liked me anyway.
ReplyDeleteLOVE!
k