Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Okay, today its time for you all to give me some input. I’m waffling a lot on whether to apply to Duke-National University of Singapore. I feel like I’d have a decent chance, and a Duke degree would be pretty sweet. Also, I can’t argue with paying half price tuition. But then I would have to live in Singapore for 9 years. Aaaand EVERYONE in the class pictures was Asian. Maybe this would be okay, I’ve been in India a month without seeing any non-Indians, but somehow I feel like that’s different. Also also, its very research focused and doesn’t deal w patient care as much as I’d like—but it does have strong programs in emerging infectious diseases which would be rather rad. Thoughts? I should probably decide soon…

Total change of subject: today I was doing HIV tests at this drop in center for male/transgender sex workers in Secunderabad and I had to pee like a racehorse. So I of course ask where the bathroom is, and I’m met by gales of giggles from the Hijras. The bathroom was a new level of crazy-toiletness. It was four walls (with big cracks) and a metal sheet roof on this exposed rooftop of a four story building in a busy marketplace. But this time, there was no squat toilet. Or toilet of any kind. Tiny little drain that was clogged-> puddle of pee on the ground. And no door (or at least no attached door). Instead, this one Hijra held up the door to the side of the shack, but she was giggling so hard she kept dropping it. At least I know that if I was exposed at all there was no risk of any of the guys being peeping toms—not a single one swings that way.

Also, the puppies are being sold---tear my heart out. I will miss “the bloody bastards” as they are commonly referred to. Pictures of puppies to be posted soon. Other pictures less likely…I don’t like taking pictures outside for fear of standing out even more than I already do. I really should have taken pics of the Bonalu festival on Monday. The Hindus had prayers, parades (featuring people dressed up as gods), decked out all the shrines (Lakshmi got a new sari), and decorated all the streets with strings of lights and strings. Then most people proceeded to BLAST music, get wasted, and have huge crazy dance parties in the streets. In the pouring rain (woohoo rainy season). Blocking my way home and leading me to become rather lost, but providing shit-tons of entertainment in the meantime.

Also, today I had the 4th person tell me that I look skinnier than last time they saw me. I feel like I’m gaining weight though? Either way, having a diet that’s 75% rice by volume is screwing with my body. India in general is messing with my body. Pollution+dusty streets+riding in autorickshaws and motorcycles+humid heat=Hannah has pimples. And the whole country feels the need to tell me this everytime I walk into a room. I guess that its considered fine to point things like that out here, but it’s a bit of a blow to the old self esteem when one pimple comes during the night and 5-6 people point it out during the day. On the plus side, I’ve learned 10 different remedies, from smearing banana and cheese curd on the face to rubbing turmeric root on the affected areas. Even if they don’t work I will have a tasty face. Sorry for the grossness of this post. But you all know I don’t hold back about the nasty details 

8 comments:

  1. Your mother votes no Singapore. 9 years is a long time. Remember your idea about the army giving you a free ride? This idea is worse. You would be over 30 before you could live in the states again. I vote NO NO NO! Somebody, back me up on this...can I get a witness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. honestly Hannah, I hate the idea of you being gone for 9 years and then not coming back to live (potentially) until you're 30... and marrying an asian... but I think that you should at least apply there. Then when you go visit, you can really visit there and think about it. It's an opportunity that you don't want to not take and then later think about it. You might as well apply, and when it happens, then really weigh all the options. Yeah it's definitely an intimidating thought and I completely understand why your mom would vote no, and I would love to vote no, but I think you're young and you have an amazing future and so much potential to do so much, and who knows what kind of opportunities Singapore or any foreign country will have. sorry if I sound too old for what i really am. but yeah. <3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't listen to Smurfy. Listen to your mother.

    9 years is worse than the army.

    There will be plenty of opportunities to become a doctor in this country, and after all, that's what it's about right, not about being at the most well known school, but about being a doctor?

    And then you can get plenty more opportunities to do things like what you are doing now, traveling to other countries, like Dr. Schnieder does, but not being tied to somewhere for 9 freaking years.

    And let's face it. By 30 you have made your life and your life will be there. It's not like being an exchange student or going to Oxford for a year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoughts about the Singapore thing: From what you've said about your own misgivings about the program and the 9 year commitment, it sounds like the price for getting half price tuition might end up being too high. With your MCAT scores and all of the other stuff on your resume, my guess is that there will be other distinguished programs that will be falling all over themselves to admit you. Some of those programs would probably end up being a better fit for you. Any one of them would end up costing more dollars but would cost you less in pain and suffering. Too much pain and suffering over too long a period could end up making it harder to be successful. I'm just sayin'.

    Meanwhile, I've been enjoying your blog. Especially your most recent bathroom report. Also, the part about how boys will say words. And the fact that the first born child will get her eyes burned out if she goes outside during an eclipse. Good to know, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've gotta vote with your mom and Paula on this one. especially the part about having your life set when you're 30 (mom) and other programs falling over themselves for you (Paula). i do think that you are young and have a lot of time to change your life multiple times, but you are stable and happy when you have your core people near you. med school without your core support = ? and i certainly don't have any idea about relative prestige country by country, but i feel like you learning in the states and creating your network here (assuming you want to practice in the States) would be a better long-term choice. let's see...that is my...seventeen and a half cents. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh ps, don't worry about the zits thing. my roommate's mom (second year) EVERY time she saw me would comment on mine, whether they were better or worse than the last time ("what's with all the dots? oooooh. tsk tsk tsk" she would say as she leaned in). you're fine and just as beautiful as ever. just laugh and say something about adjusting, and you're sure the banana thing will work, thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Singapore, huh... wait a second! you're visiting in september! why not send duke an email and ask to take a look?

    also, my experince with a diet composed of a single grain product is one of weight-loss and interesting experinces of expulsion... kangway would concur, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hannah, I agree that you should just say no to Singapore -- being in India for the summer is long and far away enough. But your blog posts are really interesting, keep 'em coming! And I'm glad you're have lots of exciting experiences. It sounds like they're worthwhile even though things aren't going exactly as planned.
    -Max

    ReplyDelete